Thursday, June 23, 2011

WATCHING FORECASTS

The UNpredictable-ness of the weather goes without saying. In spite of sophisticated satellite and radar technology or advanced degrees in meteorology, the TV weather guys are lucky to be spot-on only about 50 percent of the time.
Last night they told us that the major flooding caused by snow melt, which they have been forecasting as imminent since May, is finally going to happen. However, last night’s prediction was made with more than normal confidence. It appears that a heat wave this week is inevitable. And rapid snow melt is, therefore, inevitable.

What is interesting to me was how June refused to act like June until yesterday. The cooler than normal and dryer than normal June has seemed to me to be Providential. It seemed to me that major flooding was held in abeyance for as long as possible to give more people more time to prepare for the inevitable. There have, of course, been others who were the unfortunate victims of early flooding. Their plight, widely publicized, has helped to galvanize hundreds of volunteers into action filling sand bags and helping the victims. Nevertheless, the unusually slow warm-up has probably spared the vast majority of flood zone residents an utter catastrophe.

A city official from a local community in a flood zone was interviewed on TV last night. He was full of confidence that his community is prepared for the coming flood. The sand bags are in place. More sand bags and large equipment are ready to be deployed at a moment’s notice. I sincerely hope his optimism is justified. Other communities that have failed to respond in like manner now face inevitable disaster.
As I watch the various forecasts and the reports of nature unleashed, I know full well that some kind of disaster could also befall me, just as it has befallen countless multitudes across the globe recently.  As I have watched, I have wondered, “ How well  am I prepared?”
I have witnessed the Hand of God holding back the forces of nature as well as of unrighteous political entities. I know that He gives us many warnings and more than ample time to prepare. He is a merciful God. But the inevitable is, after all, inevitable. 

However, I am comforted that there is a “one-size-fits-all” preparation. After doing all we can do with food storage and financial reserves and 72-hour kits, we may or may not be prepared to weather any coming storms. But the one-size-fits-all preparation that will help anyone weather any potential disaster is spiritual preparation. This is done persistently one day at a time, seeking the Holy Ghost and the Lord’s guiding hand in all that we do, keeping in tune with spiritual promptings. This is the only Sure Way.   

... just "watching" ...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hmmm..I hadn't thought about that! And here I was complaining that spring has encroached upon June. A blessing in disguise, I guess, or a highly evident one to those who see. :)

telsi: You tell it, I see it.