Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Ring Out the Old, Ring in the New

Well. Somehow each year seems to speed by ever faster. Ironically, the earth has apparently slowed down by one second, which necessitates a "leap second" being added at midnight tonight. I wonder if anyone has calculated the rate of slowing, and has projected just when the earth will stop spinning altogether? (The moon doesn't spin on its axis. Technically, it turns once on its axis each time it goes around the earth--about once every 28 days. Just imagine the earth doing that around the sun!)

Seriously, it is alarming how fast this year has gone by. Every month I was amazed: "What? The month is over already?" I expect the same will be true in 2009. -- What?? 2009?? What happened to ... the last decade?? As time zooms by, I am ever more aware that I should be using my time wisely and well.

The poet Alfred Lord Tennyson had a cheery optimism as he bid farewell to the old year and welcomed in the new. In his poem, part of which follows, I find inspiration for creating a truly happy new year.

Ring out the old, ring in the new,
Ring, happy bells, across the snow:
The year is going, let him go;
Ring out the false, ring in the true.

Ring out the want, the care, the sin,
The faithless coldness of the times;

Ring in the love of truth and right,
Ring in the common love of good.

Ring out the thousand wars of old,
Ring in the thousand years of peace.

Ring in the valiant man and free,
The larger heart, the kindlier hand;
Ring out the darkness of the land,
. . . .

I know that what Tennyson envisioned and hoped for can happen. One person at a time. Tennyson's words paint a vision and plant a desire in me to have a larger heart and a kindlier hand, to drive out any darkness or lack of faith in my life, and to value and uphold truth and right and goodness.

Happy New Year to my family! I love you all.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yes...All I am worried about this new year is getting a nap today. Too much partying last night. Jeremy tried to drag me to the bed and make me take a nap, but I insisted that I was fine, but after sitting her...I am starting to fall asleep...

Jen said...

Jen was here.

DebbieLou said...

Happy New Year to you too!