Sunday, December 28, 2008

Worst Movies of the Year

Jeff Vice, the local (Deseret News) movie and TV critic, today published his list of the nearly two dozen 2008 films that he “genuinely loathed.” I personally like these Best/Worst lists because it usually saves me time and money in the long run. Here are Jeff’s picks for bad flicks:

1. The Happening
2. The Spirit
3. Meet Dave
4. Everybody Wants to Be Italian
5. The Love Guru
6. Four Christmases
7. Delgo
8 and 9. (a tie) Hancock, Seven Pounds
10. Sex and the City

There were so many other bad movies that Jeff listed “The Rest of the Worst” as follows: An American Carol; The Day the Earth Stood Still; How to Lose Friends and Alienate People; Miracle at St. Anna; The Mummy: Tomb of the Dragon Emperor; Punisher: War Zone; Speed Racer; Star Wars: The Clone Wars; What Happens in Vegas; X-Files: I Want to Believe.

I watched two of these turkeys: Hancock and X-Files. I also would nominate “Mama Mia” to be added to this list.
Sad to say, we are the duped owners of two movies from the above lists. Hancock and The Mummy: Tomb of the Dragon Emperor, as well as Mama Mia. (Sigh) I was persuaded to go along with the purchase of Mama Mia before I had a chance to research it first. My Bad—as they say. I keep issuing moratoriums on buying DVDs . . . unsuccessfully obviously. (But, “tomorrow is another day!”)

New Year's Resolution number three . . . .

6 comments:

Davola said...

I liked Hancock. Never saw the new Mummy movie. You can play the Mama-Mia movie at my funeral.

Anonymous said...

Hancock sucked. It was STUPID. I remember sitting there thinking "When is this EVER going to END!?" I heard the mummy movie was dumb, but that is what happens when you change actresses (Except with Batman. I liked the new Rachel. The old Rachel was retarded.) My mother-in-law said Mama-Mia was cute, but I haven't seen it yet, so who knows? Potentially a aweful I suppose...Here is another one to add to your list: "The Christmas Card." Eych..need I say more?

Anonymous said...

The "a" was an accident. I am not illiterate. :D I am smrt. Relly.

Anonymous said...

And I can never remember how to spell awful. So sue me. :P
phsesse: The Dara spelling of phases

Jen said...

Hey - - at least you can say you don't own ALL of them!! LOL

Zaphod said...

I have a very forgiving imagination. And now back to the Outre Limits.